Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Frühlingsfest (Spring Fest) in Stuttgart!


The Germans know how to drink bier (beer) and party.  It's as simple as that.  I think I am officially one of them now that I have experienced my first fest.  It is a non-stop great time.  We took the U-Bahn (train like the metro or T) to the Frühlingsfest.

It is really a spring carnival--but with beer tents.  The carnival has various rides (pirate ship, swings, roller coaster-well I heard that, I didn't actually see it) and eateries (from candy apples to cotton candy).

I would estimate that 40 to 50 percent of the attendees had on traditional German clothes-dirndles and lederhosen (which is what guys wear).

The waitresses at Frühlingsfest rock.  Sometimes I needed both hands to hold up my beer.  But they could carry 8 or 10 drinks and made it look easy.  They also served you a half chicken and roll (Huhn und Brötchen).  I highly recommend the chicken after you finish one of your 3 liters of beer.  And the beer glasses don't break when they are dropped.  I watched many drunks (most looked about 16 or so) drop their glasses on the ground.  


A band played all evening.  Everyone stands up on the benches and sings and dances and drinks.  Pretty much all night long.  We arrived around 1530 and left at 2230.  The party was still going.  
So this is my Dirndl:


The group I attended with did a cowboys and indians theme.  I already had the boots...

And some other pictures:


My Chicken Dinner

The Band
Examples of Lederhosen

4 comments:

  1. Love the dress...fun times for you! - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you look cute in your Dirndl. I'm glad a purple color was the Dirndl for you!!!!!
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Dirndl!! Way to embrace the culture!-Colleen

    ReplyDelete