Sunday, May 1, 2011

Christine in Zurich, Switzerland

Visiting new cities is an amazing experience.  Yes, I do not speak any language particularly well.  Ok, maybe English.  But I try hard to get around with my little German.  And I am going to sign up for a German class, but that will not start until July.  This does not stop me from visiting new places.  I am trying to go to locations I have not seen yet.  That is why you have not read about Paris, as I have been there once before.  But Switzerland is a new country for me.  

I drove to Zurich, Switzerland.  It's about 2 or so hours southwest of Stuttgart, Germany.  First, I thought that there would be toll roads, as I noticed on google maps that it said toll in some places.  Tolls are actually boarder crossings.  I had no issues crossing.  


Zurich is beautiful.  It looks just like an old city should, or that you would think it looked like.  Large, old churches dot the landscape.  The buildings have beautiful architectural details that you just do not have in the States.  I just like looking at them.  I park and then wonder around looking.  So far, there have been no plans to see anything specific.  I found a restaurant that served food from a window.  Since a fair amount of people stood in line, I joined.  I took my sandwich and ate by the Limmat river.  Luckily, they accepted Euros, but gave change in Swiss Francs.  As most European cities, Zurich has a large park, and this one ran along the Limmat.  I enjoy walking so I viewed quite a bit of the river walk.

Zurich Landscape

Lunch


You know those movies were you meet someone that speaks a little of your language and you a little of theirs and despite this fall in love?  This is not actually true.  While walking a long the river, this nice gentleman, named Mark.  In Zurich, I look to be about 27.  Or that is what Mark guessed.  I like that part.  He spoke Engish better than I speak German.  He wanted to buy me a drink, so we walked to a little cafeteria in the park.  Then we just sat there ackwardly.  Cause neither of us really understood the other.  Such a relief to part ways.  Lesson learned.  ha ha

By the way, my GPS ensured that I could find Zurich.  However, I still managed to get lost trying to get back to my car after exploring Zurich.  On my way to my car, I found a street that had more expensive stores than I have ever seen together.  This includes Jimmy Choo, Tiffany's, Hermes, Burberry, Channel, Longchamp, Cartier, and I could go on, but you get the picture.  I knew this street existed, but just stumbled on it.  Maybe next time I will try on some shoes.  ha ha

Some more pictures:
Yum, Lindt chocolates.


Bahnhof (train station)

Clock on a building (reminds me a bit of the clock at Kaufmann's)

A random street pic (they love the Swiss flag in Zurich)
Along the River (interesting rock design-where I left my Swiss Franc change)

Swiss Alps in the distance
Christine 

3 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! Looks/sounds like you had fun in Zurich. On your travels, take note of the places you like most so I can go there too when I visit you in Germany. I navigated the Metro in D.C., I think I can handle navigating Europe too!-Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be able to read everything and decide for your self what you want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story about Mark...~~Michelle

    ReplyDelete