Monday, September 2, 2013

Christine in Copenhagen, Denmark

I traveled through Copenhagen for my beach trip back to the States this summer.  I did this because I knew there is a late afternoon flight to Stuttgart, Germany from there.  So this was my chance to check out the city without actually having to pay astronomical prices for a visit.  The Scandinavian countries are not on the Euro.  And with all the oil up there, they are expensive.  But still, I wanted to see at least one.  So Denmark won out.  Because I could spend 7 hours there between flights.

There is plenty to see in 7 hours.  Well, no food.  I ate in the airport lounge.  For free.  Thank you United Gold and Star Alliance.  Plus, I figured I would be too jet lagged to remember the fancy food.  And I didn't have the chance to visit any museums, just the wonderful sites.

The shopping street:  Strøget street.  All the high end shops.  No time to browse though.
Famous Nyhavn, the old port with many colorful houses and restaurants.
Another view.  Imagine people watching from the balcony on the orange house.  
Changing of the guard at Amalienborg Palace:
More of the palace and The Marble Church (background):
The church in the park (also, a great photo):
The Little Mermaid (not a great picture but the sun was not in an ideal spot).  The statue is smaller than I thought it would be.
Rosenborg Palace:
I went up The Round Tower to see the city centre view.  It is mostly ramps, until the very top.  Which are steps for one person to walk up or down at a time.  Needless to say, there was a traffic jam going up.  
One view from the top of the tower:

All of this from the self-guided walking tour in the free city map.

Christine

Remember, I flew all night and then hiked around for hours to see the city.  haha


1 comment: