Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Christine in Lisbon, Portugal

In Portugal, Lisbon is actual Lisboa.  And what a hot city.  Not just the fun and excitement.  I think I visited Spain and Portugal during the hottest time possible.  It's a wonder I didn't melt.  Oh, don't look for ice cream in Lisboa.  It is impossible to find.  I confirmed this with a Portuguese friend.  I spent a day and a half visiting the city.

Very cool art on the building:  
I hiked up to see the Castle of Sao Jorge.  In 38 C (100 degrees F) heat. That is quite an accomplishment.  
A view from the castle grounds:
Inside the castle:

Lisbon has a famous Tram 28.  It goes around many tourist attractions, to include the castle.  Not that I would take the Tram up there when I can walk.  I later took the tram to see the Christopher Columbus memorial.  It was across town.  And remember, it was 40 Celsius.
The Mosteriro dos Jeronimos is beautiful architecture.  I went inside the church (to the right) but mass was ongoing.  So no pictures inside.   You can thank Maria (the greatest travel partner ever) for these pictures.  I think if it was just me, I would have quit before I walked up to see the castle.  But I didn't want to ruin her vacation.  I remember DC hot.  And I think I liked it.  But I have definitely acclimated to Stuttgart, Germany temped weather.  Where hot is over 20 C (or around 75 degrees).
Lisbon has a huge Christopher Columbus Memorial.  Notice anything familiar in this picture?  Hmm, what about that bridge?  Besides the fact it is super high.  One of the Stuttgart Tuesday Night Dinner participants was Portuguese.  He told me it the United States paid for it.  And the same architecture from the Golden Gate bridge designed it.   Only the Americans would build a ridiculously high bridge.  The rest of Europe has short bridges.  The train from Faro to Lisbon travelled over it.  Trust me, it is high.  I know high.
I visited the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum.  Essentially, the Armenian left his fortune to his adopted country.  Included is amazing Oriental and Occidental art.  There were gorgeous rungs and pottery to admire.  I don't take many pictures of art, because I'm a believer of enjoying it in person.  But I did love The Boats by Claude Monet.  (Or maybe I don't take many pictures of art because it is hard to center the art without a tripod.  Hmmm.)
Thank you for traveling with me Maria!  I loved every minute of our vacation.  And we should vacation more often.

Christine

2 comments:

  1. It is hot here! Be lucky you aren't here for the 95 degree temps this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got around to catching up on the blog! It was a great trip, and you are a fabulous travel partner as well...mostly because we always are up for eating :). New Zealand 2014??

    ReplyDelete