Friday, August 9, 2013

Christine in Seville, Spain

I love Spain!  Beautiful country.  Amazing food (love tapas).  But hot.  In July it is hot hot hot.  I understand why Spaniards take naps in the middle of the day.  Cause they would melt otherwise.

Seville is what I think of when I think Spain.  The Cathedral is the 3rd largest church in Europe but largest Gothic church anywhere.  Christopher Columbus's tomb is located within the church.  Once I again, I climbed a church tower for you.  The Giralda Tower is actually a ramp, not steps.  Originally part of a Moorish mosque, people rode horses up the ramps to call Muslims to prayers.  It became the cathedral's bell tower after the Reconquista.

The ramp up:  
View from the top:

Seville houses Alcazar, one of the loveliest palaces I have visited.  Built in the 10th century, it was for the Moorish governors.  However, it still functions as a royal palace today-the oldest in use in Europe.  The king and queen use an apartment upstairs still (which you can tour at certain times--unfortunately, I did not make it during that time frame).  The tile work within the parts of the palace is fascinating.  The Hall of the Ambassadors was King Pedro I's throne room.  I could have stared at the half dome ceiling for hours.  It is a starry heaven.  The Gardens were massive.
One of my favorite all time places and pictures.

Take a tour of a bull fighting ring if you ever have a chance.  The Spaniards say (and I agree) that bull fighting is an art.  As it is so hot, you pay extra for seats in the shade during a bull fight.  The matador actually has a team of people to help him.    (Read more on bullfighting:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish-style_bullfighting.)
If you look closely at the view from the church, you can see the bull fighting ring.

The food was amazing.  I love tapas.  You get to eat lots and lots of samples.  And you aren't stuck with just one thing.  The octopus salad is still my favorite.  And the first night I tried the local soup-salmorejo.  Best cold soup ever.  But I don't think I had one bad taste while there.  Though I admit that some were better than others.
 The first restaurant we ate at and I fell in love with the salmorejo:
Lots of wonderful sangria:  
Jamon (Spanish ham):  
Christine


Me and Maria in the Palace:


2 comments:

  1. Great pic from the church tower! Looking forward to you making the soup when you're back in the states!
    -Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That is a good picture of us. Can we go back?? I need some more salmorejo in my life...stat!

    ReplyDelete